T-minus 4 weeks until our first trip with the Sprite and we’ve been diligently working away at preparing it for a new coat of paint!
The first item on the to-do list was to remove the flaking paint and all of the old caulking. After we scraped and peeled the caulking off, we sanded it down to the metal where the new caulking would be applied.
I’ve spent the past few weeks researching the best type of sealant to use when restoring a vintage camper and to be honest the amount of information I found was a bit confusing. Everyone has their own opinion on what type of sealant is best (ie: butyl mastic, silicone, polyurethane, etc.) so we opted for a flexible sealant that was marine grade and paintable.
I found this sealant at the hardware store near our house and originally thought it was silicone but it’s actually an elastomeric sealant which means it has a rubbery texture making it more flexible and waterproof than most sealants.
From what I could gather from all the advice I read online, a marine grade sealant is important since a camper or RV is constantly being exposed to the elements and is highly susceptible to leaks. Also, it’s important that you choose a flexible sealant as you’ll be moving your camper which increases your chances of new leaks if the sealant cracks.
Not super interesting stuff if you’re not currently restoring a vintage caravan, but I thought I’d show you what we’ve been up to :) Hopefully the next post of the Sprite will be a little more colorful! Hint hint….