When we first started this renovation journey, I one, never thought it would take this long, and two, never thought I’d learn so much! Although I’ll probably never jump into another wallpaper removing project again, I can now sympathize with anyone that has ever gone through this messy ordeal.
Last weekend, after applying two layers of joint compound to the walls, it was time to sand, and sand, and…. well, sand. This is what we ended up with:
Once we cleaned up all the dust, it was time to paint. I chose Behr’s Irish Mist as the wall color because it matched the faux barn board wallpaper in the room and was very light which made the room appear larger.
And then the flooring installation started. Here’s what the floor looked like before:
It felt so good to rip this out! And here’s the after:
I’ll be honest, I was very nervous about the prospect of installing flooring for the first time but after the first 2-3 rows were down, I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was! I did spend quite a bit of time researching the subject beforehand, as I usually do before most of my diy projects, and I found this page on homedepot.ca to be especially helpful: http://www.homedepot.com/c/how_to_install_laminate_flooring_HT_PG_FL
The flooring that my sister-in-law picked out also came with instructions to get us started. It took about a full day to install and I used a hand saw the entire time, so no big tools were required. However, if the very last row does not fit, it can be ripped using a jigsaw and a laminate blade.
I’m hoping to have the final pictures up next weekend so be sure to check back!